"Just returned from 5 days at your site. We had a marvellous time despite the weather, the site really is as good as the photos. Thank you very much." DFG
Some Places to visit and things to do
- Miles Of Spectacular Moorland & Coastal Scenery
- Tarr Steps, 3 miles - Ancient Clapper Bridge
- Dulverton, 5 miles- A small county town, with small super market open 8am - 8pm 7 days a week.
- North Somerset/Devon Coast Minehead, Porlock, Lynmouth, Ilfracombe
- National Trust Properties - Dunster Castle, Dunster Mill, Arlington Court, Selworthy
- Lorna Doone Valley - with Oare Church
- Porlock Weir - walk to Culbone, (smallest church in G.B.)
- West Somerset Railway - in Minehead
- Fishing - river, reservoir and sea fishing. More details
- Riding - several trekking centres nearby. More details
- Walking - E.N.P. Warden accompanied walks, lists of times and dates on park. See our information room, when you visit, for numerous other things to enjoy in the area
- Beaches at Minehead, Blue Anchor, Lynmouth, Lee Bay, Woolacombe, Putsborough, Combe Martin, Croyde
- The famous Tarr Steps ancient Clapper bridge over the river Barle only three miles from the farm. This wooded valley is full of wild red deer and an abundance of other wild life. There is a lovely walk beside the river to the village of Withypool with the Royal Oak Pub for a half way refreshment.
- Beautiful Picnic Areas on the moor or by rushing streams, rocky rivers or on the beach. All with breath taking views.
- Spectacular Exmoor Scenery
At the Farmhouse we hire out laminated maps with 6 circular walks, starting and finishing at the Campsite. We charge £1.00 and half of this we donate to 'CareMoor for Exmoor'. Half of this we donate to the National Park Paths Partnership which helps toward the up keep of the paths.
- On the route of Two Moors Way
- Withypool is one of the oldest settlements on the moor
- R.D.Blackmore - Exmoor inspired R.D.Blackmore to write the famous book Lorna Doone. The Doone Valley and many of the places in the book can still be found.
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge - The poet who wrote the poems Kubla Khan and The Ancient Mariner while living on Exmoor
- Oare Church - Famous in the novel for the shooting of Lorna Doone on her wedding day